Trams ran in Scarborough from 1904 to 1931. They were all designed by the Brush company and were two axle types of 3’ 6” gauge. They were two decked but the top deck was open sided to minimise windage. When we were considering making the seafront layout, it was the trams that set the scale we used. We wanted to use “N” gauge (2mm to the foot) – as it would have only taken up half the space. The issue preventing us was we could not produce trams like the Scarborough ones in N gauge. So the whole layout was built in OO gauge, (4mm to the foot)
The trams running on the seafront layout are adapted Corgi two axle open top trams fitted with KW or Tenshodo motors and painted in the Scarborough Tramways colours. Finally they have transfers with the lettering and the colourful local adverts of the time. The model trams when received are fixed in a wooden jig so a pillar drill can be used to drill out the three pairs of spun rivets that hold the model together. First a 1.5mm drill is put down the centre of each rivet to 10mm depth. Then a 4mm drill is touched to the top as necessary to remove the head of the rivet. 
Once the tram is in bits, it is modified to take a motor. The main part of the motor modification is the cutting out the centre of the two lower chassis parts to make space for the motor. However some extra 1.5mm holes are drilled at this stage for screws to reinforce what remains and also for the motor fixing screws. A smaller modification is the raising of the destination board from where it is on the standard Corgi to where it was on a Scarborough Tram.
To reassemble the model, the rivet positions previously drilled at 1.5mm (and any new holes), are enlarged to 1.7mm and tapped M2. Then M2 screws are used to fix the model back together. When all the mechanical work is complete, the paint is stripped off the tram ready for repainting. More on repainting and the transfers another time.